OK, let me just say right here and now, I do not jump up out of bed every morning, thrilled to greet another day with nothing but love and light in my heart. I have cozy, quiet days too. Sometimes I just love sleeping in, savouring a comfies-style morning.
But on the whole, life is pretty fantastic and I usually have a lot to look forward to in my day. I can’t imagine waking up with a sense of dread, dragging my feet to get to work. If this is what you’re dealing with on a daily basis, you need to take a serious look at your life and ask yourself what you’re doing it all for. Because this is your life. It’s happening right here, right now, and waiting for a big lottery win to change your world will keep you miserable, stuck in mediocrity. Snap out of it! Resolve to have better mornings, right now. Here are some ways to make it happen:
- Invent a morning ritual: get up at least an hour earlier than you normally do and have an ‘hour of power’. This is your time to exercise, take the dog for a walk, hang out in nature somewhere, meditate, do yoga, read for 15 minutes from an inspirational book that puts you in a good mental space, do visualization, or write in a journal. Try different things and see what works for you. The point is to nourish yourself with a daily ritual. One of my favourite rituals is to sing the intro to the African chant in the Lion King theme song. Loudly. It kinda freaks my dog out, but this one little action has a way of making me laugh (yes, even all by myself) and yet feel powerful and grounded at the same time. Hey–I never claimed to be ultra-professional all the time. We all need to do silly things that keep us feeling light.
- Don’t have coffee right away – drink water with fresh lemon, if possible. It’s great for digestion, and your body will thank you. Yeah, this isn’t about excitement, per se, but general health and wellness that will contribute to you feeling amazing.
- Avoid reading or watching the news first thing in the morning, since the media tends to focus on negative, scandalous and trivial topics. Keep your mornings sacred, surrounding yourself with uplifting and peaceful visuals and sounds as much as possible.
- Get clear on what you’re doing each day. First thing in the morning, write a list of the 6 most important things you need to do. Don’t overwhelm yourself – break things down into manageable tasks, delegating whenever you can.
- Own your own business, so you have autonomy, freedom and creative control! Pay other people to do the things you don’t enjoy, so you’re free to do the jobs you love.
- Work in your area of brilliance, so your work feels effortless because you’re so damn good at it.
- Challenge yourself creatively, and challenge your team – don’t let things get monotonous.
- Always be dreaming and reinventing what you do. Create a vision board that you’ll see every morning, or do a visualization exercise when you wake up, of you living the life of your dreams. I’ll bet it will put a smile on your face. It does for me.
- Nurture positive relationships with your staff and business partners so you enjoy their company and look forward to interacting with them.
- Start or maintain a healthy, balanced lifestyle, getting enough sleep and getting up early so you have time for yourself and bring your best self to work. Yeah, I know you’ve heard this one a thousand times before. Doesn’t make it any less important.
And a bonus tip: smile. Cheesy, but true–smiling has been shown in countless studies, to make us feel better. Our brains get tricked into producing feel-good chemicals when we’re wearing a grin, so no matter what side of the bed you wake up on, smile like you have your own wonderful little secret. Any time you feel your spirits sinking throughout the day, bring out that smile again. Not only will it cheer you up, it will have the same effect on people around you. Brilliant – you’re changing the world already.
Leave a comment and tell me about your favourite morning rituals!